21 Jun 2011

Falooda (Persian dessert)



This delectable entree' is being sent to Hyderabadi Ramadan Food Festival 2012 (Season IV) on Mona's blog - Zaiqa.


Falooda is a traditional Persian cold dessert. It was brought to the Indian subcontinent during the Mughal period. Basil seeds (sabza/takmaria), tutti frutti, sugar, and ice cream can be add-ons for this dessert. 
Fond memories of mine take me to a Sundarm Snacks store in Jamnagar, (a city in Gujarat) where we (Our family) used to have Falooda. I have never tasted anything close to it till now.
I have made it several  times at my home.and I have always fared well. The add –ons in Falooda depends on each one’s liking. My husband avoids the basil seeds so I need to serve it without the basil seeds. But I love crushing those velvety seeds inside my mouth. Just seeing those glasses served with falooda in the refrigerator tempts me to the core. But Damn…I need to wait for evenings to gorge it on.

FALOODA (Serves 4)



Ingredients

2 cups boiled milk
1 cup semolina or vermicelli
4 pods cardamom
2 drops of rosewater
Rose squash (Roofahza)
8 tsps of sugar
2 tbsps Milkmaid (Condensed milk)
Cashew nuts
Almonds
Pistachios

Directions

Take ¾ cup of water and add 2 tsp of basil seeds to it and keep it aside.
Take water in a pan to boil. Add semolina to the boiling water and let it boil till half done. Add 1 cup of milk to the water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add 6 tsps of sugar to the semolina. And pinch of cardamom powder (equals 2 of them).Keep it aside.
Take the remaining milk and let it simmer for a while. Add 2 tsps of sugar, pinch of cardamom powder (equals 2 of them).  Add 2 tbsps of milkmaid and 2 drops of rose water to the milk. Add cashew nuts, almonds, Pistachios. Keep some aside for garnishing. Let it cool.
Serve it in preferably long glass. Add 3 tsps of Rose squash (I use Roohafza), top it up with the semolina and then with the basil seeds. Add the milk from the top. Garnish it with almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts.
Refrigerate it. And savour it cool.
You can top it up with dollop of vanilla ice-cream when serving. (Optional).         





3 comments:

  1. jazakillahu khayr for this lovely recipe ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for this late reply. I am glad you liked the recipe.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for this late reply. I am glad you liked the recipe.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you fared in your kitchen. I would be glad you took time to do the same. I would, for sure catch up with everyone of you.

If you have a comment or question or just want to say hello, you can also write to me at nakhatsattar@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...